Thursday, February 24, 2011

School, school, and more school

Braden has been applying to grad school for a PhD in Information Systems and it has been an exciting ride this last month as we have started to hear back.  Here is the list of schools in order of Braden's interest and what the status is.

Tied for first...
UBC in Vancouver, British Columbia-  He has had two phone interviews with them alluding to a possible fly out and acceptance.

U of A in Tucson- He was flown out to the school and I went with him.  Details to follow.  He has received word that he will be extended a formal offer in the next week or so.

Third 
OU in Norman, Oklahoma- They are flying him out today thru tomorrow evening.


Fourth
Georgia State in Atlanta- Braden had a phone interview in which she forgot to ask him the interview questions and then emailed them to him the next day.Fifth

Fifth
Case Western in Ohio- He had a phone interview with them and alluded to an offer.

Last
Baylor- No word.  We aren't quite sure why but have heard it may be for "religious differences".

At this point it looks like the decision will be between UBC and U of A.  They are both top tier schools and it has been exciting to see Braden have success.  His program at BYU has given him many opportunities that have prepared him for a PhD and made him a very competitive candidate because there are not any other programs with a PhD prep track.  He has had opportunities to participate in multiple research projects and that has given him great experience!  I am so proud of him and the hard work he has accomplished to get him to this point.

When U of A offered to fly him out, I knew I had to come and make a getaway of it!  I have a wonderful friend, Lili, who lives in Tucson and I finally got to visit her!  We left Sophia with Braden's mom (first time leaving her overnight) and went for 4 days to BEAUTIFUL Tucson.  We would love to live there!  We stayed two nights at a resort and one night with my friend.

Braden and I on a walk in the desert at the resort.  Not bad for a self-timer picture...

A purple prickly pear cactus.  My favorite of all the beautiful plants we saw.

My beautiful friend Lili!!  5 days before she gave birth to her second child, Simon.  I wish we could have met him but the timing seemed to work out as no one wants house guests when they have a newborn!

We had a wonderful time and left feeling like we could DEFINITELY live there.  It was 80 while we were there and that wasn't nearly warm enough for me.  I'm sure I could survive the heat! :)  Sophia did great at grandma's and I think we missed her WAY more than she missed us.  I was about in tears walking into the airport and my heart broke every time we talked to her on the phone.  Braden was watching videos of her that he had on his phone the day before we came home.  We were slightly pathetic...

Stay tuned for the big decision from Braden- I'm sure it's only a few weeks away!

1 comment:

  1. I have to say that I am excited you had fun in Arizona, but I happen to be even more excited that you left Sophia with Grandma. I got to play with her during Sacrament, and watch her during Sunday School while Grandma taught the lesson. She even fell asleep on my shoulder. It rocked.

    ReplyDelete