SO, I made my first parenting mistake... (the part about first was a joke). I was cleaning Sophia's sippy cup the other day and noticed mold growing in the valve. mold. MOLD! SICK! And then guilt. Lots of guilt. I felt awful. Then I scrubbed, boiled, and bleached. (Please note that I HAD washed the cup previously and frequently). That night I drempt that I fed Sophia lots of moldy bread. I noticed the loaf was really moldy and knew I had been feeding it to her and wondered how long it had been moldy. That is a sure sign of the guilt that I feel/felt.
Well, I looked online to see if there were any other suggestions on sanitizing her sippy cup- in case boiling and bleach weren't enough. And it turns out hundreds of mom's have done this and their babies have lived! Without even a symptom!! I don't know that my guilt has lessened with this knowledge. I just like to know I'm not the only one. And I read some pretty funny things- like moms who found their kids "cleaning up after the dog" and a mom who's husband gave the child the sippy cup that was filled with a bleach/water solution, and I realized that there is probably a lot worse to come.
The best mom's are the ones who can:
ReplyDelete1-realize that they really DID do something stupid (not on purpose usually).
2- panic and have guilt...even dream about it
3-realize that it did not cause there child to be bald for life
4- LAUGH about it!!!!
(Like the time I sent Braden to school anyway, even though he was having an appendicitis attack-or-having Kelcy play the piano with a broken arm-or-tell Jenna just to wait to go to the dentist while her jaw grows bigger and bigger) I'm sure I'll think of something for Logan.
And we did the exact same thing with one of Leah's sippy cups too. But she lived. So don't worry too much over it. I think you are a great mother to Sophia. So don't let the guilt get you down too much.
ReplyDeleteAh, Hay, that was funny. Especially the dream part. Welcome to motherhood! Motherhood and guilt go hand in hand. Mom's always feel guilty about something. A mistake or something that maybe they coulda/shoulda done differently. Don't be too hard on yourself. You are a fabulous mom! Grandma recently apologized to me for something that has been bothering her for years that had really never crossed my mind. Guilt runs in our family but I hope you can over come!
ReplyDelete