Monday, June 4, 2012

A sad, sad update

We are in America! It has been a LONG week. Here's a LONG synopsis.

Monday - Sophia's birthday. She spent the morning at a friends and we had cake at night. I'll post more later. We packed all day.

Tuesday - we threw caution to the wind and went to Bowen island. Commence my sore throat...


Wednesday - Went to Washington to pick up the truck and run errands. I wake with a sore throat and no voice and get worse all day. Aching, shivering, fever. Get home at 3:30. People come help us load the truck at 7:00. (leave at 8:30-9). A friend took Soph and I was in bad shape except when the adrenaline kicked in. We were up til 12 packing.

Thursday - finish packing/loading stuff and cleaning. Run errands (Change Canadian to US $). On the road. (Braden in the truck, me in the car with the girls). I feel terrible. Can't swallow, fever, aching, no voice, etc. Soph wets her pants and Audrey had a blow out within the first 2 hours! (and I'm thinking this is going to be a long trip....) In Sophia's defense, she told me she needed to go but we were just pulling up to the border with a 30 min wait. My hands were tied. Luckily, they did fine after that. Finally get to the hotel at almost 10. I fall asleep shivering with covers and sweats and socks on. Yes, I was taking ibuprofen too. At least the room was decorated in my fave colors---black, white, and green.

Love the shower curtain!
Friday - more of the same. 7 hours of sleep, sore throat, 4 ibuprofen every six hours barely helping my throat, no fever. Braden took Soph swimming before we left and the girls slept well in the car! We stayed at my dear friend, Brittany's. 

Saturday - Braden wakes up early and drives to Denver. I wake up to feeling crappy and now have pink eye in both eyes!! I have a wonderful friend whose husband is a doctor and is helping me, thank goodness. We have no insurance. My throat is less sore but I'm still sick and have no voice. I make it to Ogden. Although I did almost run out of gas. There happened to be one lowly gas station after miles of no services signs. Thank goodness.


"Middle of Nowhere" gas station
Sunday - Wishing I felt up to doing what I came here to do: Visit!!!

The good news: the girls did great!!!!! Seriously amazing. Due in part to the generosity of my Aunt Carol and my grandparents. They bought us this DVD player and it gave me a few hours of Soph being happy and Audrey napping everyday. What would I have done!?!?

2 comments:

  1. Amy and I both hope you feel better. Sounds like a terrible adventure. We are both looking forward to your visit. Let us know if there is anything we can have ready for you when you come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a busy afternoon/evening and didn't get to reading this until now. Oh. My. Gosh. That sounds like total misery! I cannot believe you were able to push through and drive all that way while feeling so terrible. And then on top of it to get pink eye?! Ugh! Has it gone away yet? You poor thing. :( Also, I love that you took pictures all along. I would not have thought about doing that. But thanks for sparing us a visual of the blow out. ;) I can't wait to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete