So, I know I've been doing a lot of complaining on here. I think moving here (with a 5 week old) was definitely one of the hardest things I have ever done. It was really difficult at first and there are things that are still inconvenient. BUT, we love it here. The two things we probably love the most are the people here (friends) and the church here. But, we are planning to leave this May(ish)! I am heartbroken thinking about that! Can you believe it?! Partly because I don't want to do the packing and settling again but mostly because I feel like I've just started to LOVE it and now it's almost over.
Before I talk about leaving, here is what we love about the people here:
- Diversity! It is not uncommon for Soph and I to be the only English as a first language speakers at the park. Or the only English speakers for that matter.
- Wonderful friends. We have met great people here. We miss our friends from Utah but it's been nice to meet great people here too. I could say a lot about them but it probably won't mean much to those who haven't met them. I feel really sad I have to leave these friendships just as they are starting to feel deep and real.
-Religious diversity. We have friends meeting with the missionaries from our church and were able to help the missionaries teach another girl in our ward before she was baptized. I know Braden has enjoyed this and it's been the sweetest experience for me.
-Our ward is crazy here and we love that too. I could say a lot about this too, but I'm not going to. We aren't in Utah any more, that is for sure. But we love it. It's been great to be able to serve.
We are leaving!??!
In short, Braden has realized academia is just not a good fit for him. Basically, he wants a job that is more creative and faster paced where he can solve real problems. The PhD thing seemed great and was a logical next step based on some opportunities and experience he had at BYU but now that he is in the thick of it, he has realized it is not for him. Luckily, both of us feel like being here was right for us and that it has been one of the best experiences of our lives. We've grown together a lot in addition to all the reasons I listed above. So, Braden is "finishing" this semester while applying for jobs and rebuilding marketable skills. We hope to have a job secured before the semester is over (or soon after) and hope to be out of here in May. We are looking all over the west for jobs. He is a smarty pants and I'm sure something will work out. We've been doing lots of touristy stuff in the meantime to "see Vancouver" before we leave.
Wow! Excited about the news - glad you're both on the same page with it!
ReplyDelete