Sunday, March 11, 2012

America vs Vancouver: shopping carts

It has come to my attention that not all parts or provinces of Canada are the same. So you can choose if you want to generalize my posts about our experience to all of Canada.

Shopping carts are chained together and it costs $.25 to release them, unless you are at The Great Canadian Superstore or Superstore as they say (somewhat similar to Walmart). There it's $1 and if you are American you might not notice the difference and try to shove and quarter in (to no avail) until you realize it says $1 and that those crazy Canadians have one and two dollar coins (loonies and toonies). When you return it, you get your coin back when you chain it up to another cart.

The bad news: having change is just one more thing to remember when you go to the store...

2 comments:

  1. I never experienced this while I was in Canada, but maybe times have changed. Oh Canada, thank you for showing me all the things I took for granted in America(that's right I said America and not "The States" as most Canadians refer to my country as).

    Plus I always felt cheap when I left only coins as a tip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep. That's how it is in Europe. In London we just shopped with the hand basket and it got freaking heavy. But I can see not wanting to do that with children in tow. Also, I've heard talk of the US getting rid of dollar bills and making coins instead.

    ReplyDelete