Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Latest, part 1

We have sure felt busy this month!  We went to Kelcy and Nathan's wedding. 


The weather finally warmed up and we have spent lots of time on walks and at the park near our house.  On this particular day we were the only ones there for the whole hour.  Sophia doesn't look too thrilled but that was probably only because she wasn't swinging for a minute.  She also loves to sit and throw wood chips in the air.

We have been working on getting Sophia to drink milk.  She is a little bit small (20 percentile for weight, 30 percentile for height) and the doctor wanted us to make sure she was getting enough milk.  After trying a straw, blending bananas into it, and using different flavors of carnation instant breakfast, we finally got her hooked on chocolate and she will drink it easily from her sippy cup.


We joined a food co-op and have loved having an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies in our home.  Well, I've loved it and I think Braden has liked it.  As I write he is cutting up a coconut we got.  This entire basket cost us $15.  My favorite part is that I don't have to wander around the produce department trying to figure out how much and what to get.


Sophia has been doing a whole lot of this...  entertaining herself.  She is actually quite good at playing by herself for some time each day while I do some things.  In this case I was washing the floor that is stickier every day from the things she has thrown on the floor while she is eating.


She has also had to entertain herself while I have been doing some home improvement projects.  First, I wanted some new art in our home (for cheap) so I bought this lovely frame (21x26) at the DI for $5 and spray painted it, had Costco print a family picture that Hillary took for us at the Salt Lake Temple the day of Kelcy's wedding, and got a new mat at BYU ($10 only- best place in Provo).  Voila!  



We also decided to build a mirror for a wall that has been in limbo since Braden got a fancy TV/HTPC. I got the idea from a blog that I read and we love the result.   Last night I did not love the result.  I love how it looks but we had to replace one of the in between boards that was a little too short and it pulled off some of the paint and *gasp* wall.  I felt a little sick about our temporary decor actually being permanent.  (Lili, please don't tell your uncle/our landlord).  We are hoping that taking it down when we leave will be easy or that the damage will be easy to repair.  We used some command tabs that are removable but it's a little tricky to remove them correctly...

Before


After!


The mirrors are from IKEA $5 for a 4-pack.  We cut and spray painted molding for the frame and in between pieces.  Thanks to our friends Kendra and Miles for letting us borrow their fancy saw.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my heavens!! THE MIRRORS ARE FANTASTIC! I love the picture frame too. I think I am going to be learning how to love some spray paint! =) You are my fancy craft inspiration. OF COURSE YOUR DAUGHTER IS CUTE.. as always!

    ReplyDelete